Website

Friday 6 January 2017

Van Gogh's Ear



I have always been interested in Vincent van Gogh. He was an interesting person and artist. I am currently reading Van Gogh's Ear by Bernadette Murphy. I have been to Auvers to see the house and little bedroom where he last worked and died. We have also visited his grave which is also in Auvers next to his brother Theo who supported him throughout his life. Just a couple of ordinary gravestones hidden against a wall in the village cemetery.

I am not sure I could personally live with one of his paintings on my wall. I like calm his work is busy energetic.
What  I like about him as an artist is that he was depicting the world as he saw it. Yes he was influenced by other artists but he wasn't trying to paint like them or adopt a style to be famous. You truly see the world through his eyes. 

I feel some students leave art college today looking for some ridiculous gimmick to outdo the previous nonsensical delight. You can list them yourself. They want their 5 minutes of fame, a short cut to being successful.  Far better to be true to yourself and work hard developing your skills and producing work that has value. Okay that's my take on it but each to their own.

Anyway so far so good in the book its well written and holding my interest.


No comments:

Post a Comment