Website

Thursday 21 July 2016

Vitamin D Deficiency and sunray treatment




I noted that there is a recomendation today that people take vitamin d pills in the winter to avoid any definciency caused by lack of sunlight. When I grew up it was quite common to have thick sulphurous smog for days in a row. It would be so thick you couldn't see the other side of the road and getting to school with a scarf wrapped over your face was a very strange and unpleasant experience. Anyway to get to the point it was so bad many children including myself were regularly sent for sunray treatment to make up for vitamin d deficiency. The sketch above is of me, Albert and Nobby being subjected to this.

The treatment involved going to a "clinic" stripping down to your underpants and sitting in a room with other children all wearing goggles. A strong light (ultra violet I guess ) was then turned on for about 20 minutes.

I don't know if there were any long term consequencies of this treatment but they stopped doing it after a couple of years.


No comments:

Post a Comment