Website

Saturday 2 May 2015

Buzzard over Carreg Cennen in winter.


I was reminded I hadn't got a painting of Carreg Cennen Castle in my stock the other day when I had an enquiry. So I thought I had better do one. For a change I thought maybe a winter scene. You know those cold fresh mornings after a fall of snow. I also wanted it bathed in sunlight.

I didn't draw it but I did do some quick preliminary brushwork to define the composition. I had a clear image in my head and away I went. The work was fairly loose until defining the castle. I decided to add the buzzard at the last minute. People often think snow is white. Well the colour generally depends upon the light sources including the sky, reflections, the shapes it is covering and shadows.

Alex meanwhile had been going full pelt mounting paintings and making frames.

No comments:

Post a Comment