Website

Wednesday 18 June 2014

Carreg Cennen Castle



I haven't done a paiting of Carreg Cennen castle for over 2 years so I thought it was about time to do another. I set about it using burnt umber and turps. This stage is literally 5 minutes. It gives an overall guide to the composition and tonal values.

 I have dozens of brushes some very expensive sable watercolour ones I treat like royalty and will outlast me. I also have many brushes I use for oils in all shapes, sizes and condition. To be honest I use pretty much any brush in any condition these days for oils, whatever comes to hand. For the preliminary work as above I used an old battered watercolour brush. This one hasn't seen a point in years. I buy these brushes cheap 10 at a time.





Somehow I got talking to a friend about conferences the other day. It used to be the bane of my life. As a senior police officer I was sent to numerous conferences. I hated having to go. Why?

In general:
1. It was a waste of public money
2. It was a waste of my own time
3. I never came back more informed than when I went. (Not in a positive sense anyway).
I went to conferences on EFQM, Value for Money (that is ironic), and every wonderful initiative the Home Office dreamed up. They all had the same format. The only difference between them was that some were further away than others. The police service aren't the only ones subject to this of course.

I once went to a conference in the Midlands. The conference was being held in a posh hotel. I arrived just about on time. I picked up my badge to wear cheerfully around my neck. Took a cup of coffee and a biscuit and scooted through the double doors for the opening of the conference. I found a seat picked and waited with baited breath to be enthused by the first speaker. 

After 45 minutes of tedium the speaker concluded and we had a 5 minute break. I turned to the attendee/victim next to me, sympathised with him and asked him where he was from. 

"Northern Area." He replied "Where are you from?"
"Dyfed-Powys Police."
He gave me a quizzical look, "Why are you here?" I looked at the conference pack and realised it was a British Gas Seminar! 

I retreated and found my conference on the next floor. To be honest on the whole I think the British Gas Seminar was more interesting although there wasn't much in it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment