Website

Sunday 11 May 2014

One in a million


People and animals are generally incidental in my paintings not specifically the subject although some may be aware that for a time I was solely interested in doing portraits.

The painting above is one of my favourites and is in my own collection. It is a scene of St. Phillips Cathedral in Birmingham City Centre. The Cathedral has four beautiful stained glass windows by Edward Burne-Jones a member or more correctly an associate of the Pre-Raphaelites.
I spent some time in this area as it was part of my beat when I worked as a policeman in the City Centre. Anyway none of this is why it is one of my favourite paintings. The painting is actually a history painting which tells a story. The particular details of the story it portays are really only well known to Alex and I.

 I first met Alex at Edgbaston County Cricket Ground. I asked her out but nothing came of it. The following day we met accidentally while I was on duty by the Cathedral. That is her in her long black coat and platform boots. Now I don't really believe in coincedence not with odds of a few million to one. So either there is some greater being, fate, or whatever you want to call it and this is maybe the more probable answer Alex was stalking me!
Anyway the rest is history just like the painting. Kind of a nice romantic story one I have told before but is worth retelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment