Website

Sunday 9 February 2014

A Family Affair



I was in many respects lucky that creativity ran in my family. My brother is an artist although he spends more time writing now. My grandfather was a talented artist although his major love was carving. He did all sorts of wood carving for churches etc. My grandmother was no mean artist either. Two of her paintings are still in the family.

The paint box above is a boxwood affair and belonged to my grandfather. It is dated Dec 1912.
I used it until about 35 years ago when it became impractical. My father's mahogany paintbox is now in the possession of my good lady Alex who uses it to keep her bobbins and threads in. I have made a couple of paintboxes and handed one down to one of our grandson's.

Whether any of this creativity will continue in our grandchildren I don't know. Certainly one of them has a penchant for drawing on walls! Bless!!**

No comments:

Post a Comment