Website

Wednesday 22 January 2014

The simple life


The painting above is one I did of my Great Aunt Louisa. She appears as a tough old bird in the painting. Apparently although she had a stern countenance she was very pleasant. She was married to Uncle Alfred. He was an herbalist and they had a large double fronted shop on Bridge Street, in Worcester. My mother used to go and stay there in the 1920’s. He was apparently quite renown in the world of herbalism. He used to go to Switzerland and give talks and advise on herbal medicine.

Now I’m not really one for alternative therapies. I am however happy to be convinced and if it works for someone else that’s great. Chiropractors I am fine with, a very high level of training all based on science and very effective. Hypnotherapy no problem there. When it comes to most other types of alternative medicines I remain to be convinced.
Give me the NHS anytime. Alex is the opposite and swears by anything alternative. We just agree to differ; well actually we agree that I keep my views to myself. It makes for a simple life.

Alex went to see one of our daughter's today. While she was there she did a bit of ironing. She was howver so appalled by the state of the flex she bought a new one. She told my daughter that the iron was dangerous and should never be used. My daughter who like Alex is quite sharp thanked her for the new iron
and then said, "Now I didn't know the iron was dangerous but used it but you knew it was dangerous and used it. So how does that work out?"

David Cowdry called around today. Always good to see him a real gentleman and I am not saying that because he brought lovely tea and cake with him. Thanks David.

No comments:

Post a Comment