Website

Monday 19 August 2013

Akureyri

 
The picture above is from my sketchbook of Iceland. Akureyri is at the end of a Fjord in Northern Iceland and was an important fishing settlement . The museum was really interesting and showed what real hardship the settlers had to endure right up until 20th century. They would go out fishing in 12ft open boats for 8 hours at a time. On one occasion all the fishing boats were lost in a gale and the area lost 160 men. Wiping out virtually the whole male population between 20 and 50.

Today I started a painting of Aberaeron it is coming on ok. I have covered the canvas but it is going to take a while to get it complete. I have a good image in my head of how it should look and its some ways off yet, but on the right track.

No comments:

Post a Comment