Website

Monday 27 May 2013

Celia Beaux


Now as far as I can recall I haven't seen any of Celia Beaux's work in real life. I have only the images on line and in books to go by. But I have to say I like what I see. An American artist who trained in France and kept to her own principles and ideals. A realist painter who concentrated on portraits of the American Social Elite. In many respects I find it hard to differentiate her work from John Singer Sergeant whose work I have seen in real life. Perhaps his work is more fluid and hers more considered? Anyway I like them both and am always interested in portraits. I haven't done any myself for a while maybe I will set aside some  time and do a couple of the family this year?

"The painting above is called portrait of a man with a cat." (WYSIWYG) by Celia Beaux (1855-1942)


No comments:

Post a Comment