Website

Saturday 18 August 2012

Abstract art and Picabia


I had an interesting chat yesterday with Aaron Peterson son of David Peterson the well known sculptor. Now Aaron is a very talented craftsman and blacksmith  in his own right. Anyway we were talking about painting and the subject got on to abstract art. Now for those of you that know me you will know that I am strongly inclined towards representational painting. The words "be true to yourself" echo strongly in my head.
However that is not to say that I haven't done abstract or post modern works. I do admire the works of for example Francis Picabia an example shown above. For one Picabia could paint. He could paint anything in  any genre. You have to take an artist like that seriously.



                                                            Virgin with Child Picabia

Anyway getting back to me when you paint abstract or post modern works it is customary or a requirement to provide an artists statement explaining the work! I could not in all honesty do this. If I did I would have said something like, "Here is a painting using a palette of colours that works well. I hope the pretty patterns match your curtains."
So do not get me wrong I am not having a go at abstract art or modern and post modern works some of which I find interesting and thought provoking. There are many talented artists out there doing their own thing. I do enjoy looking at all genres of art including abstract art. I am just saying, "It is not really what I am all about".

No comments:

Post a Comment