Website

Friday 13 April 2012

Sunderland Flying Boat Milford Haven


The finished painting of the Sunderland Flying Boat is shown above. On the right is Stack Rock Fort. I am not an expert in the history of the RAF or the Flying boats at Pembroke Dock. My father was a radio operator in the RAF during the War and was also the gunner on a Catalina Flying boat off Ceylon. Many of my ancestors worked in the Dock Yards in Pembroke Dock so there is enough there to give me an interest.
I believe one of the Squadrons based in the Haven, 228 Squadron had a motto "Auxilium a Caelo",  "Help from the Skies". This reflected one of their duties in air sea rescue duties to downed pilots as well as Anti Submarine Patrols. I decided to put Stack Rock Fort in the background as opposed to Thorn Island as it is more likely that the flying boats used this flatter stretch of water where it is more sheltered.
Anyway the painting is finished and it came out as I envisaged it so I am quite pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment