Website

Tuesday 31 January 2012

Cilhwbert


The sketch above is of Cilhwbert Farm Brecon. Alex and I used to live in Brecon and have fond memories of the Town. We often visit or camp just outside the Town  for a weekend break or if we have an exhibition there.One house we lived in had a wonderful view of the Beacons from our lounge and back garden. We revisited the estate last year and found houses had been built on the fields ruining the view, still that's progress.

I have had a good deal of experience in planning. As an old Army Captain used to say to me, "Failing to plan is planning to fail." I have over the years had to plan many and varied things and been unfortunate enough to be taught both project management and program management.

Brecon although a beautiful town did suffer from visits by the less welcome residents of nearby Merthyr Tydfil. I had very good friends in Merthyr but there were quite a number of rogues, living there at the time too. It was quite possible to go out in the morning and come back at night and find your roof had been packed up on a lorry and ended up in a  salvage yard. Alternately your cocks and hens had mysteriously gone, Cocks and hens are the castellated dry stone walls that are abundant in the area. One day I went to the report of a burglary where a young man had been caught in side a house by the returning owner. He had managed to run off. Having a drive around the area I engaged in that felonious practise of stopping and checking a young man. Now the description of the wanted man was useless being extremely vague. Anyway I asked him where he was from and he said,"Merthyr". Now I am not about to judge him I can appreciate that many people would find themselves a long way from home in the middle of nowhere just happening to walk near a house that has been burgled.
Giving  the lad the benefit of the doubt I asked him how he got there.
 "I got the train to Brecon this morning." He said.
At that point I arrested him for burglary and I should have included failing to plan properly.
The Railway station in Brecon had been closed since 1962 about the time he was in junior school.
Today both Alex and I were in the Gallery again decorating so no painting today. Anyway he admitted the offence pretty well straight away after that as I recall.

No comments:

Post a Comment