Website

Saturday 23 April 2011

Paxton's Tower in moonlight

I did the painting above last week. It is of Paxton’s Tower in moonlight. It is an unusual painting for me in that it is heavily worked. I wanted to do an atmospheric painting of the Tower and use watercolour to the point of being body colour.


Working watercolour to this level requires a very good paper. I usually use 300gms

Saunders Waterford paper, which is an excellent paper slightly creamier than other papers such as Bockingford, which I do occasionally use.

Saunders Waterford Paper allows you to add several layers of watercolour and washout the paint without ruining the surface. It isn’t cheap but you get what you pay for.

Today I went on a good walk with Jac and did a couple of sketches. Alex was busy in the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment