Website

Thursday 27 January 2011

Portrait of the Artist as a dog



The painting above is of “The Boathouse Laugharne” and I sold it this week. I have a great affection for Laugharne. We have often sailed there and moored opposite the Boathouse or further up river under the trees. Obviously Laugharne is famous for Dylan Thomas commonly referred to a Wales Greatest Poet. I confess I am not really a man of letters and don’t claim to understand anything more complicated than Wordsworth as far as poetry goes.


Dylan I am afraid leaves me confused. I am sure his work must be excellent and I admit when hearing Richard Burton reading Thomas it does sound very wonderful. (But there again Richard Burton reading the telephone directory would probably have my full attention).

I suppose that in many respects my tastes are too conservative in both art and literature to find real pleasure in any form of post-modernism.

I recall when I took my degree in art I did a print of Dylan Thomas together with one of his newly discovered poems. My tutor was in raptures with the poem. I didn’t have the heart to tell him it was merely a random selection of words and no great literary discovery. I suppose it was quite unkind of me but it would probably have been worse to tell him.

No comments:

Post a Comment